Monday, March 23, 2015

week of 3.23.15 "The Carnival at Bray"

Prompt:  What would you have done if you were in the protagonist's shoes?
Pages read: Finished (I'm finally on a streak!)

I hesitantly began reading The Carnival at Bray.  It wasn't that the author inserted Nirvana (the band of course) into her novel to give an 'edge' to her character, or that the book dealt with yet another teenage girl entranced with 'alternative' music who has a sort of screwed up home life; which has become such a common back cover description that I now tend to stay away from the teen lit aisle.  I was hesitant to read this novel because the protagonist (16 year old Maggie) goes on a life changing adventure.  I'm being vague because I hate adding spoilers, but it is a but cliché and rather unrealistic.  I knew I would be filled with a sense of self-loathing and ennui.  I don't like hearing about others' adventures because I want to be having my own, and I end up feeling trapped.  However, I don't read to be taken on an 'adventure', I read for inspiration.  To create more dreams to hopefully fulfill.  To fill the drab days of my current location with hopes of a spontaneous tomorrow.

That being said, The Carnival at Bray was definitely one of those novels where you feel swept away in the rising action, and lost after the resolution.  Maggie's traveling to Rome with her crush, and seeing Nirvana right before Cobain's suicide was entirely unrealistic.  Which makes it all the more exciting, because most readers know they wouldn't have the guts to leave their home without notice or a plan and take off to fulfill an uncle's dying wish.  Certainly, I doubt that given a similar situation I would be able to leave guilt and worry free.  Of course, I would have no trouble staying.  But leaving would be difficult, because I always worry.  Not for myself (because uncertainty is a major part of the fun), but for what I left behind.  If I were in Maggie's position, I probably would've left a vague note (which still makes an interesting story), in hopes of not being found by the police.  I would at least make up a lie (I'm quite good at that).  Also, Nirvana's pretty overrated, but it would be incredibly cool to see them.

When Maggie returns (she'd been found out) she is put on a trial with the nuns at her school.  There was much consideration about expelling her after her running away, but she agrees to strict rules in order to stay.  Realistically, I would have done that too.  I wouldn't really want to sacrifice an education for just one week in my life.  However, there is a part of me that would say no, and continue to travel and adventure.  It really is my dream, and once I start I doubt I'll ever find a home again.  Life isn't about how long you live, it's about how far go you, in the time you get (taken from my favorite short story, by Chris Crutcher).  So although I would like to remain in a comfortable lifestyle, if my life were a teen novel, I would continue expanding my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment