Sunday, March 15, 2015

Third Quarter Reflections

Of the books I've read this quarter (none? I'm not sure, I can't remember any), my favorite would have to be Invisible Cities. Followed closely by the similarly unfinished, No Logo.  I hope to finish both, but I'm currently 'binge' reading the novels by the authors who will be at LitWorks (I'm so excited!).

Argumentative writing was foreign to me before third quarter, and so I have hopefully improved my abilities with objective writing and research.  Although writing style was not a focus of mine this quarter, style is something that is constantly evolving and maturing.  Therefore, I think my writing style has matured.  And of course, my run-on sentence usage... Research has always be a slippery slope for me, but I think I've acquired some useful skills in that area.

It is hard for me to pinpoint an accomplishment, because I don't really believe in them.  I suppose it is because I'm always looking for ways to improve myself, and that everything is constantly changing.  Progress is never lost, but sometimes plateaus.  That's when most people consider something an accomplishment.  On the other hand, I have accomplished major things in my personal life.  As for my academic life.. Well, there are always new books to be read.

My 40 (50) book challenge has come to a near halt.  But as shown in the previous year, it will soon resume its rapid pace.  I'm about 30 books in.  This comes as a surprise, but a welcome one at that.

I'm assuming my blogs have been progressing nicely.  Last year it seemed my progress leaned toward polishing up my writing in terms of style, grammar, elegance, et cetera.  While those are things to be worked at tirelessly, I think my voice has strengthened and matured.  Voice and narrative style is what I look for in books, and if I can say that I've improved in that, it would be a great honor.




No comments:

Post a Comment