Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"Homesick" Butterfly Project


"Homesick"

I've lived in the ghetto here more than a year,
In Terezín, in the black town now,
And when I remember my old home so dear,
I can love it more than I did, somehow.

Ah, home, home,
Why did they tear me away?
Here the weak die easy as a feather
And when they die, they die forever.

I'd like to go back home again,
It makes me think of sweet spring flowers.
Before, when I used to live at home,
It never seemed so dear and fair.
I remember now those golden days…
But maybe I'll be going there again soon.

People walk along the street,
You see at once on each you meet
That there's a ghetto here,
A place of evil and of fear.
There's little to eat and much to want,
Where bit by bit, it's horror to live.
But no one must give up!
The world turns and times change.

Yet we all hope the time will come
When we'll go home again.
Now I know how dear it is
And often I remember it.

9.3.1943. Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle,

    Your butterfly looks really good. Your explanations are fantastic, they are very vivid and I can tell that they were all well thought out. I like how one side of your butterfly is dark and the other is light and happy. Both sides had great use of symbolism and I like how you drew the Star of David to symbolize two things, the Jewish faith and the bloodshed. Overall, great use of colors and symbolism. Great project.

    ReplyDelete