Thursday, March 26, 2015

Week of 22.315: Night

Pages read: 43

To state the obvious, the Holocaust is a topic that deeply fascinates and affects millions upon millions of individuals.  I happen to be one of them.  This interest was first brought upon me by my mother, who could spend hours talking about nearly anything to do with it.  However, I was never deeply affected by the sheer lack of humanity and barbarism of the Holocaust until I read The Devil's Arithmetic. Perhaps it came from my relentless reading as a child, or the power words have over me, but I was never so deeply saddened and shocked about the horrors of the Holocaust as when I read that book.  Already, I can see these emotions manifesting themselves again as I read Night.

Wiesel's blunt but dreamlike retelling of his experience at Auschwitz-Birkenau is haunting, and I am left in constant suspense.  I suppose I have an emotional history with short stories, and with vivid descriptions of the living conditions at the camps, I am left questioning everything.  This, as well as many other things, may have been Wiesel's purpose in writing Night.  The dangers of blind faith. Of taking things for granted.  Of not staying together, and valuing power over humanity.

The setting is an aspect of Night that really interests me.  I think it's important to learn how widespread the terror was over Hitler's Reign.  I have a hard to conceptualizing his influence, and how other countries such as France and Italy were affected.  Another important part of this novella is its characters; although I do not want to proclaim a favorite, because I know how tragic these events were.

No comments:

Post a Comment