Thursday, March 19, 2015

Berlin Memorial

What did you learn?

I learned about all the restrictions and laws placed on the Jewish people during the Nazi Party's regime.  Of course, I knew of a general few; but never dreamt of all the hardships the German Jews must have endured during this dark time.  The Jewish Decrees were new to me, though I wish I would've learned them earlier in life.  I also learned and was able to put the timeline of these decrees into more context.

Why do you think this monument was built?

I think the monument was built to remind people of the dark past that lies just a bit before their time. The Berlin Monument was likely to have been built to remember the millions of Jews who were taken from life during the Holocaust.  

What did you notice about the number of laws passed during certain years?

During specific years, the number of decrees that were passed fluctuated.  For example, the 1936 Olympics brought on a major reduction in the amount of decrees.  It's obvious to see why Germany did this maneuvering, because they wanted a protected image and they planned strategically.  This was key to their (obviously deeply unfortunate) success. In the later years of the War, the amount of decrees dwindled as well.

Which restrictions do you think you would have the most trouble dealing with and why?

At first, I would be furious and even more so, terrified that my basic necessities were being stripped away.  Then, things like not being allowed to attend concerts and visit beaches and other places of entertainment would really bother me.  I find a lot of comfort in being outside, and sometimes it seems to be my only respite.  Although I would live, I wouldn't be able to carry out my life in a healthy way. I couldn't imagine what those who had to suffer through these decrees endured.  It seems to tear away at humanity, and shows how inhuman the perpetrators were.

No comments:

Post a Comment