Sunday, February 8, 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird ~ 18/12/14 (Late now)

Prompt:  Final Thoughts on the book

Well after about a month of reading it, I suppose some of my feelings toward the book have faltered and diminished.  But that won't be a problem... Coming of age novels are supposed to stick with you, and reoccur throughout your life.  While I may not be analyzing one of it's predominant themes, I am still seeing its influence in my life, and the world.  And not always the book specifically.  Through further reading, keeping in touch with current events, and keeping To Kill A Mockingbird's message in the back of my mind; I've begun to see the novel's themes take place in the world.  The non-fiction world.  Perhaps this gives me an advantage over the other blogs, as more experience always helps.  
I couldn't properly begin to explain these observations, because the novel should mean something different to everyone.  We're all at different stages of acceptance, or 'living in someone else's shoes'. We've all had different social experiences, and different negative events impact us.  But the one message we can all take as a whole is putting aside differences.  Not just walking in someone else's shoes, which can apply to even the most similar humans.  But actually setting differences aside and standing up for what you believe in, regardless. 

That being said, I am not sure how the world will react to Harper Lee's 'new' installment of Scout's story.  Of course, the outcome is predictable.  There will always be the ignorant and immature critics saying it wasn't as good the second time around.  Which it won't be, unless Harper Lee can defy all odds. There will be the over-exaggerators, and all that comes in between.  Will the new novel have the same effect?  Will it combat the same reoccurring issues with the blunt force it has before?  Or will it be a romantic novel of Scout's future?  How can we be sure.  I might not purchase the book (I have many suspicions), but I will read it.  And over-analyze it.  And try to be more intelligent than I actually am. 
http://clouded-ambition.deviantart.com/art/To-Kill-A-Mockingbird-31766439 (credit to the artist)

No comments:

Post a Comment