Saturday, February 21, 2015

Invisible Cities ~ Italo Calvino

Look it's a Magritte ^_^
Prompt:  What do you like and dislike about this book?
Pages read: 0-80

The book I am currently reading is unlike the majority of novels I have probably ever read.  It’s a strange mixture of prose and poem, somehow twisted in between.  Invisible Cities has the format and styling of prose; with the detailing and imagery of a poem.  As for the storyline, well the jury is still out.  The famed traveler Marco Polo is relaying his adventures through Kublai’s kingdom to the Khan himself.  Switching between the upright font for the descriptions of the infinite cities, and the italicized interactions between Polo and Kublai Khan, the story does not so much unfold as it does reveal itself.  This novel is similar to my current tastes in it’s use of symbolism and otherworldly metaphor.  However, this book is lighter-hearted than those aforementioned selections - but a darker undertone remains.

So far, I hold this book in high regards.  It has the rare and mysterious power of actually taking you to those described cities.  Sometimes, you willingly are led into intricately elaborate towers and castles and fairy-tale like lands.  Other times, you are dragged into a city with dark secrets and peoples. Either way you are sure to visualize these cities and villages because the description is so detailed.  While only an upwards of two pages is dedicated to each borough (for which I am thankful for), you can distinguish your own version of the city.  Suddenly, they start to blur together, which furthers the theme and symbolism in the story.  Another part of Invisible Cities I really like is the interaction between Kublai Khan and Marco Polo.  It is quite confusing, but it adds a much needed element to the story.  This novel is definitely not for everyone.  Not because it is confusing or cerebral, but because the entirety of it is page after page of city description.  Understandably, you start to become bored and searching for more than meaning in these convoluted cities.  Then the interjection of the aftermath of Polo’s retelling captures your interest once again.  

Mentioned previously, the repetition of this novel starts to wear on the reader.  While I dislike this portion, it is what sets apart the story.  Confusingly, I’ve been having trouble focusing while reading lately, but this novel has somehow grasped my interest.  There’s a peaceful aura to Invisible Cities, which makes it seem unreal at times.  I think I would like to see more of a direction in this novel, but that seems unlikely.  Technically, this is a folktale and consequently, a highly regarded piece of literature.  Another aspect of the story I hope to see developed is Kublai’s and Polo’s characters.  As of my current progress, I haven’t seen any distinctive personality qualities in either, and I think that would add to the story. 


(feedback on my writing would be appreciated?) 

1 comment:

  1. What is this interaction between Kublai Khan and Marco Polo that you speak of? How does the story "...not so much unfold as it does reveal itself." I am captivated at your analysis, but am left wanting to know more. How would you like to see more direction in this novel?

    ReplyDelete