Thursday, February 5, 2015

26/1/15: Neverwhere (Late obviously)

Prompt:  Where do you think the story is going?  Where would you like it to go?
Pages read: 0-90

While I'm not entirely sure I'll be continuing with reading this book, I definitely have a strong premonition of where it is headed.  For that reason, I am leaning towards finishing the book, because I am definitely enthralled.  And coming from someone who dislikes the entirety of fantasy novels, that's quite a statement.  My personal fascination with morals and the all too human has never manifested itself in a interest in angels and demons surprisingly.  However, through Richard Mayhew's confusion and inadvertent plunge into the metaphorical depths of London I've found myself wrapped up in the storyline.

My feelings for the protagonist, Richard Mayhew, are yet to be determined.  Nevertheless, I wish him the best ending.  Perhaps... Although we all know the happiest ending isn't always the most interesting.  From this point in the story (the first day he 'slipped through the cracks' of London society), I haven't the slightest idea of what can 'realistically' happen in this story.  An educated guess would be that he meets up with the mysterious Door again.  No, not the inanimate object.  Richard met Door on the way to a very important dinner with his ex-fiancé and her boss.  Door had collapsed in a pile of her own blood (mixed with assorted others') on the street, and Richard was adamant in his passive way about not leaving her there to waste away.  Through his and Door's encounter, Richard meets up with some unique and morally ambiguous creatures (who are not quite humans, in my understanding) and is unwittingly transported into this not-quite new realm.  It's London, but not.  His history is erased, his job has been taken, his apartment sold, and his coworkers and significant other have no memory of his existence.  Gathering from that, I reckon Richard will be maladjusted to life in the murky realm which has until this point, remained nameless.  Door and Marquis de Carabas's ambiguous hinting at this world has left Richard dazed and confused, as well as justly angry.  I predict there will be confrontation between the two parties.  Door and her acquaintances are infinitely more knowledgeable about the power and magic and all that, so I'm interested in what will become of their relationship.

As for what I would like to see happen, there are many possible outcomes.  Truly, I need to be further into the story to really grasp my feelings towards its characters and storyline, but I am hoping for an all-out battle of the wits.  As stated earlier, I've always been fascinated by the workings of good and evil, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Neil Gaiman presents these forces in his novel.  At this point in time, romance would seem out of place.  Richard has just been dumped (in his terminology) by his fiancé, and romance right now would take away from the adventure and plot.  Perhaps there will come a time for it, but for right now, Richard should restrain himself.  He's not among the company of humans, so who knows what kind of weird stuff an inter-species relationships entails.  All this being said, I'm looking forward to reading the next few chapters.  This is one of those books when each page can contain a plot-twist and/or vital fore-shadowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment