Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week of 3/2/13: The Rook

Prompt: How have your feelings changed as you’ve been reading?
Pages: Start to 80

To be fair to the author, Daniel O'Malley, this is a great idea for a book.  Basically, it about the British Secret Service's supernatural wing that's kept hidden from the general public, the ones who don't have powers.  We start out as the main character loses her memory, and then takes the life (meaning becomes someone who agreed to it, she didn't kill the person who she now has the body of) of Myfawny (rhymes with Tiffany) Thomas.  In that part, I was really interested.  I thought this was a really cool idea and that the writing was clever and unique.  Though I still think those things, now I  am starting to see the author getting carried about with his own cleverness.  Some parts are over-explained, and the plot doesn't go anywhere, but then some parts go by in a flash and usually they're the most exciting parts.

That being said, I'm still interested in reading the book, but not anymore because of the writing or the characters, now it's just the ideas of the book.  One scene that saved a dull section was when Myfawny was recruited to be a Rook.  I liked the backstory, her learning her powers but no one discussing them with her.  As in most supernatural books, she learns of her destructively useful powers in her childhood, using the childhood cliche of falling out of a tree  to give the book a relatable aspect to it, although it's not supposed to. In particular, the scene where Myfawny and her parents are (basically) interrogated about her powers and her adoption into the Secret Service of 'Her Majesty'.  Usually, the government and hierarchy do not interest me, because I do not like them, but when there are like spies and crime involved it's totally cool xD.

Why does everything that I like start with M? Literally the three biggest things I am obsessed with are Myfawny from this book, Moriarty, and Morrissey.  I find it weird... back to the prompt though.  I guess I would call this book a roller coaster of good/boring writing and cool/boring scenes.  That's refreshing to have in a book because it seems like either I really like a book, or I read something like this and I have mixed feelings, which just makes me want to read it more. Also, I have a feeling that this book will be made into a movie and become a cult or huge hit.  Although it might just flop. Such is the case sometimes with unique things.






2 comments: