Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week of 27/1/13: Autobiography (again)

Prompt: Do any of the characters feeling change as you’ve read? Explain why or why not.
Pages read: 260-390 (hopefully this will be the last blog, I mean really, if you want a better blog about this, go to the first one, I worked hard on it)

For this blog, 'characters' are obviously real people, as this is non-fiction.  Skewed truths, as this is an autobiography (duh) and the author has his own story/version/side.  You get the idea I hope?  Before I give you my answer, I will set the scene in this paragraph.  To make this easy to understand for someone who has not read the book, let's say post band that the author was in there was legal troubles and the members all had to go to court.  Sounds boring? Maybe a bit, but the commentary was a bit brilliant.  See in a court room, things happen between people.  To make this blog interesting to the reader let's just drop a few overused words like: Betrayal, Lies, Deceit.

His post-band members got along with him back in their heyday, but now after arguments and monetary issues, there have been tensions.  I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think any of the members communicate with each other any more.   So as I'm reading the book, friendship dwindles into nothing, and the 'characters' act like strangers, with maybe a slight grudge toward each other.  It's really quite interesting to see how an actual band works or worked, as all the general public gets to see today is faked media stories and statements from PR.  What I'm trying to say is that it is interesting to hear an actual first hand experience than from the normal journalists P.O.V.

I've become disenchanted with this prompt, so I guess I'll share some insight/observations I've gotten from this book.  Or I'll just complain about how long it is.  Either one is alright, there's not a huge difference, if that makes any sense.  Or maybe this is a not-so-clever way to write a third paragraph on a tired out topic.  Really, you should read my first blog on this, it's actually fun. You haven't checked yet?  Well then I'll give you some probably unwanted quotes from the book.  "Whenever I'd overhear how people found me to be 'a bit much' (which is the gentle way of saying the word 'unbearable'), I understood why. To myself I would say: Well, yes of course I'm a bit much — if I weren't, I would not be lit up by so many lights." is a favorite of mine.  Some people think that is egotistical, and they might be right, but it's still a great thing to say, unfortunately many people will take this quote the wrong way. I should let you decipher the meaning for yourself, but where's the fun in that... 
*In children's show voice* Oh Morrissey!

1 comment: