Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Picture of Brother Leon (an amoral antagonist) Book: The Chocolate War

Previous blog on this book (not character blog)
     

    As soon as I heard the Headmaster was ill, I knew it was the perfect time for me to step up and take what was rightfully mine.  Trinity Catholic High School, the all boys school where I am the Assistant Headmaster.  I’ll admit it is not the best school around, or the one with the nicest boys in it.  But boys will be boys, right?  And besides, who doesn’t like a little mischief and rule breaking once in awhile... 

    There really would only be two problems, but neither of which I couldn’t manipulate my self into, or out of.  Using basic human nature to get my way in even the toughest situations has been my strongest suit.  But more on that later.  Perhaps I shall give you an example later; but maybe not. Those two problems are the school funds, and Trinity’s secret society The Vigils, a group that makes fools out of the other boys in the school; something I find quite admirable. But, my new position at Trinity will give me a tremendous amount of power, something I shall push upon the students, well my students rather.  They will assist in my plan to solve those problems.  If I find myself carried getting carried away, which often happens when one realizes they have the power to control human emotion (something so frail it can be broken with a few words and and a ambivalent smile) I will not panic.  No, I happen consider my plans brilliant, and if anything, or anyone should come in the way of them, there will be a war.  

                                                          This is Trinity 



It’s been a few weeks.  Since then, I have managed to make a handful of my students cry during English.  How, you ask?  Well, it’s simple human nature.  Take the shyest kid in the class, for instance, and stand him up in front of the class.  See? He’s already getting nervous, as you can tell from his shyness, he does not like to draw attention to himself.  Sometimes you just have to observe to get thing your way.  Observing is not all I did, if it was, maybe Gregory Bailey would have been fine, and not missing school for ten days, something I take credit for.  How unusual for such a scholarly student they ask.  After you stand the boy up, you ask some basic questions.  “Are you perfect Bailey? All those A’s - that implies perfection.  Is that the answer, Bailey?” I slyly asked.  Stirring up trouble is something I took pleasure in.  Asking that question, followed by an accusation of cheating (which we both knew wasn’t true, but lead to the eventual break down) were just loading him up.  After I added continual pressure, questioning him with loaded queries, Bailey giving answers that either way would have incriminated him, I stopped and let the boy cry as the bell rung.  

   See my passion for psychological terrorism? It didn’t stop there.  With my newfound power, and the Headmaster showing no signs of recovering from whatever it is he contracted, I could continue this for a long time.  And so I did. 

It all started with a simple suggestion.  Really, the power of determination and verbal prowess can get you anywhere...





The Chocolate Sale has been going on for some time now, and tensions are still on the rise.  Good, we have to sell these boxes.  My position could be taken from me if I left the school in debt.  I do owe it to the Vigils, without their (let’s call it) assistance, Jerry Renault would still be refusing to sell the chocolates, disturbing the Universe as that tacky poster on his locker says.  When he was refusing to sell he was motivating other students to refuse to, or to at least rebel against my force, which will ultimately win out.  I have heard talks of the Vigils hosting a raffle to finally get our quota.  And that’s good for them, quite honestly I admire that Costello boy, leader of the Vigils and the real mastermind behind them. Psychological warfare is one of life’s many pleasures for those who know how to administer it.  

 I suppose you have some questions about the Vigils, feel free to comment a question about my plan, the Vigils, or whatever I’m talking about.  I’d understand if you didn’t quite follow my ramblings on.  Sometimes I can be just too brilliant for a normal mind, like yours or the Renault boy’s.  





Ever since the raffle the Vigils somehow managed to pull off, the atmosphere at the school has been tense.  It seems as if every student has fallen to submission, accepting the fact that the Vigils are the true leaders of the school, and even more so Archie Costello.  After I announced the death of their Headmaster, I became the accepted leader.  I only show sympathy towards the members of my club (yes I am referring to it as my club because I did give them their ultimate assignment.  It was something even Archie Costello wouldn’t dream of doing). who so helped me get to my position now...  
Jerry Renault hasn’t returned, but I pay no notice.  I remember the look on his face when he saw me peering in on the raffle, where he was so brutally beaten to near death.  Of course, I did not help the boy.  Far be it for me to show my emotion. Really, I felt no sympathy towards him.  In his final conscience moments, I smiled my grin and my eyes fell to his grimace.  He seemed to whisper something along the lines of “Why did you do it?” and I could only look on.  Watching my pupils bask in violence, knowing my job had only just begun. 



Quotes

This was a banned book  (I can almost see why, but not quite)

     
(This was how I imagined Brother Leon to look in the book, this is not the same actor as in the movie.  This is Andrew Scott.  His voice also sounds like what I imagined Brother Leon to sound like) 





(This is Brother Leon in the Chocolate War movie.  It was a good try.) 

  

3 comments:

  1. Commented on:
    Isabelle B
    Sarai Z
    Marisa B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how in the first paragraph, it was like an introduction but cliff hanger at the same time. But I have to tell you that not all boys cause mischief, a lot of boys where I live, well, we have to grow up really fast so we can work and put food on the table.
    Nice Job!
    -Peeta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book for freshman year summer reading! It probably was not the best choice to show someone already apprehensive for highschool but interesting anyway.

    ReplyDelete