Thursday, October 2, 2014

Writing Analysis: Notes From the Edge Times

Prompt:   Analyze the writing techniques used by the author. Explain the affect the technique has on the writing.


Pages Read: 0-120 


       To set the stage, or perhaps mood, Notes From the Edge Times, is a collection of articles by David Pinchbeck, which thrill me, and reassure me like no other work.  While it is primarily the author's interpretations of harsh facts (topics include: climate change, the end of capitalism, human evolvement and consciousness, spiritualism, etc.), there is a frightening truth to what he is saying.  While I am not opposed to the change in my ways that needs to take place (just please read the book), many skeptics will be; which is why David Pinchbeck uses persuasive writing throughout his altruistic articles. 

      One of the most compelling ways in which the author persuades the reader into living a more natural and conscious life is through juxtaposition of the average Western life and a healthy conscious lifestyle.  Pinchbeck presents the untold and shocking facts of the detrimental emotional and physical effects of subjecting yourself to unhealthy dieting, GMOs, chemicals, and types of radio waves.  My personal experience was that even though I had a vague idea of the effects, it gently scared me into trying to live as consciously as a middle schooler in a suburb unfortunately destined a few more capitalistic years.  Me, and many other readers were relieved his style was not sensationalization, as that would've pushed these sometimes idealogical statements into oblivion.


    The tone is also gently persuading, or rather dissuading from old and unhelpful habits and ways.   I aspire to write as persuasively as Pinchbeck someday, because of his unforced narration and guiding voice. I knew not to let a book, especially one like this, influence me (I have prior knowledge on the effects of that, Maria would understand ;D) but his tone is forgiving and mentoring, things everyone craves in their lives.  His tone and style are both persistent throughout the numerous short articles, which can make the reader get lost in his work.  A job well done, truly. 







3 comments:

  1. Commented on
    Autumn U
    Julia S
    Abdiel De La O

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write with eloquence in your analysis of Pinchbeck's writing technique. Keep up the tremendous work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to the third paragraph when you say "I knew not to let a book, especially one like this, influence me." really makes me feel awesome. It always annoys me when someone watches a T.V. show or reads a book and they see a character they like and automatically go from being them to that character. Sometimes if a friend sees a character that's super sarcastic they suddenly become super sarcastic and it annoys me to now end. It's like, "Stop. Why are you doing this? I don't need an overly sarcastic person in my life from a person who is usually not. NOOO!!!"*falls to knees and cries*. I feel like I'm the only one who feels like this(or maybe I just misinterpreted your writing) and it's nice to see someone acknowledge this. Anyways, I like how you analyze the author's work but also leave it unanalyzed. Sometimes when a person analyzes a book they just pick apart and break it, but with your writing you really stay true to what the book really meant from what I gather, which can be really hard for some. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete