Monday, October 6, 2014

Reflective: Writing Progression, Less Digression

Prompt:  Juxtapose your current blog post to one you wrote this time last year.  What has changed and/or stayed the same?

      After a painful exploration of my older posts, I noticed many aspects of my older writing reflect in my more recent endeavors.  This shows improvement, and need for it, in my writing.  One of the first techniques that I noticed my past self using was simple sentences.  Not necessarily short sentences, but ones that got somewhat to the point.  At this moment in time, my sentences still lack brevity.  While I'd like to think of my writing as still 'to-the-point' I have discovered that I elaborate more.  And not just the offhanded digressions of my former self, but more meaningful and valuable writing.

    There are many things that haven't changed, however.  I would still be able to tell it was me writing from the often snide remarks I make; as well as the overall "style" in the writing.  While I cannot tell if my writing has a "unique" style, there is definitely more personality in my posts this week.  I know I'll look back on this blog and shake my head, but for now I feel fairly accomplished in the progress I have made.

   Finally, and probably one of the most obvious, is how my word choice has progressed.  Well, that's just my opinion.  Understandably, I used simpler words that held more obvious definitions.  Many of them repeated indefinitely throughout the (agonizing) blogs.  Now I have learned to vary the words I write, and looking back at my older posts reaffirmed my belief that descriptive vocabulary is to  good writing as water is to sustaining life.

No comments:

Post a Comment