Friday, October 24, 2014

Week of 21/10/14: Fade

Prompt:  What would happen if you spent a day with a character (does not have to be the main character)?  Time period and setting aside.
Pages read:  0-140

*To give this blog a boost of a bit more 'quality', I needed to not rush and take an extra day*

Paul Moreaux (our protagonist) and I share similar personality traits.  We both enjoy writing, wandering aimlessly, and daydreaming.  We both question our Catholic upbringing, and can sometimes tend to be more aloof than our friends would like us to be. For that reason, a day with Paul would be highly satisfactory but perhaps a bit uneventful.  I don't really know what I'd say to him, save for prying questions about the Fade which would probably see no answer.  His Uncle Adelard is a very different story.  Well traveled, with a aura of melancholy, I find his worldly anecdotes endlessly interesting.  Conversation with Adelard would prove to be ongoing, and I think his adventurous spirit and my natural curiosity would pair well together.

Adelard and I would most likely stray from wherever our current residences were.  Maybe grab a table (or if the choice was mine, a booth) at the local café.  My grandmother spends about a third of her time in a trailer park in a very French Canadian neighborhood, like the one Paul (and Adelard) are from so I know how quiet and comfortable the cafés can be.  I would ask him as many questions about his travel as I could, though unfortunately he has shown to never really give direct answers to personal questions. With the direction Fade is taking, I doubt Adelard will be developed in detail so getting to know more about his history and especially enigmatic family would be very interesting.  I feel like Paul and I would sit in silence, comfortably, but neither of us would get too much out of it.

His advice would be highly valuable to me.  Paul views his uncle Adelard as a mentor because of his free spirit, so advice from him would be indispensable.  I have no doubt we would argue, but hey, that's half the fun of a worthwhile conversation.  These somewhat forced paragraphs aside, I sincerely hope we see Adelard's character become dynamic, instead of the average supporting character static.  Although, even though I would lose some entertainment if Adelard remains two dimensional, I really look forward to seeing where this book takes me.  An recurring aspect of Cormier's writing is plot twists into risky and dark subject matter.  Maybe it's why I enjoy his (often banned) writing so much
.


1 comment:

  1. After having read Fade, how does it compare to The Chocolate War?

    ReplyDelete