Thursday, May 14, 2015

Tuesdays with Morrie ~ Aphorism Project

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important.  This is because they're chasing the wrong things.  The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." 
 - Morrie Schwartz 

What did Morrie mean by this?  Although I think everyone can attach their own meaning to this, Morrie meant that people walk around unfilled and insatiable.  He believes everyone is chasing the wrong goals, and he explains that real meaning comes from within.

I guess this reminds me of Mad Men, where everyone is after each other but everyone also has deep set problems.  This aphorism also may relate to my own life, because I tend to get caught up in being busy and rushing around.  I tend to feel less happy when I do this, and when I take time and actually appreciate the important things, I feel happier.


Morrie's suggestions for a more meaningful life really spoke to me, and I can definitely say I agree with them.   It is so hard for people, especially for teens, to see purpose or meaning in their life, and not get caught up in the rigors of our everyday schedule.  Most people are disconnected from nature, meaningful relationships, and from seeing themselves as part of a whole.  And it's hard to think about anything but ourselves and what we 'need' to accomplish to 'succeed'.  I am no stranger to this, and while I try to keep the actually important things in mind, I always seem to end up "half-asleep". It's just how we are.  However, it is not an individualistic problem, but a societal one.  Ironically, this can directly segway back to the original aphorism.  Perhaps if we worked as a community, we would not have this sleepwalking issue. To create something to give our collective lives meaning.  We all strive for success, but really, who can define it?

No comments:

Post a Comment