Monday, May 18, 2015

Final Reflection

Prompt:  Nine questions focused on my time in Mrs. Larson's Accelerated English/Language Arts classes ^_^

1.  What are the three most important things you learned this year?  Wow, starting off with perhaps the most difficult question.  To be truthful, I learned so many things.  Lessons about time management, communication, public speaking, friendship, tolerance, and life itself.  Whether this was through reading varied novels, or our treasured Socratic Seminars.  To say there are lessons more important than others is an injustice.  Everything matters, and every little detail is vital to living a happy and successful life.  I learned how to become my better self, and I learned more about my self at an exponential rate.  These may seem like very, well, egocentric observations. However, through this classes' unspoken teachings about ourselves, we all became more tolerant and open minded people.  This is the most important lesson for my generation.
 
2. What is something we did this yea that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
        Of course, our off topic side conversations were very memorable, but I think our in depth discussions will stay with me for quite a while.  Especially our gallery walks for the article of the week. I just love hearing what other people have to say about world events, because everyone has had a different background and perspective.  The Holocaust Unit was also powerful, and it definitely impacted the way I view history.

3. What was the nicest thing someone our class did for you this year?
As a class, I feel like we all came together more.  I wouldn't go as far (or as 'touchy-feely') as to say we became like a little family, but I would say we all looked out for each other.  I think it became apparent that we are all a little insecure socially.  Our class saw friendships shift, and new ones form.  Personally, I feel less lonely than I ever have in my life, and that's thanks to the amazing people I've become close to in this class.
   
4.  What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?
I hope that I set a good example through my writing and work for my classmates, and I hope someone got at least a laugh out of my 'rants'.  Maybe it was through my embarrassing phases in seventh grade, or other cautionary tale worthy things I've done, but I do believe there was at least a little to learn from me.

5.  In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements?  What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?
      Last year, as opposed to this year, was all about finding my style and trying to take off. I focused on strengthening my vocabulary, and finding what I was most interested in.  This year was all about development.  I think, or hope, that my writing flourished within my new found style (whatever that may be).  I also think my reading comprehension improved drastically. Currently, I am reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf which is a piece I would not have even considered reading at the beginning of this year.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again:  I don't believe in accomplishments! Everything is a progression, and there's always room for improvement.  This is what makes this subject so fun.  However, taking on an argumentative essay was definitely an accomplishment.

6.  What was the most challenging part of this year?  This year, I definitely struggled with time management. We all did.  It's natural, but preventable. I also struggled with being comfortable with my writing, my work, and myself in general.  I do love being challenged, and I suppose I do my best work under pressure.  Sometimes, I had trouble participating in class. A good challenge will always pay off in the end, and I hope to see where my experience in this class will take me in high school and beyond.

7.  What was the best piece of writing that you did this year?  Why do you think so?
I feel like my blog has really improved, but I'm never that confident with my writing.  I guess I'd like to hear what you all have to say.  Personally, I think my essay writing could have been much better, but I think I learned quite a bit.

8.  Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite?  And why?
    Each and every book has its impact, and this year proved no different.  I'd have to give credit to Notes From the Edge Times for giving me a completely new perspective on our planet, and Wuthering Heights for showing me how to really write great characters.  This year didn't have a definitive favorite like last years (The Picture of Dorian Gray), but most of the reading I did this year stemmed from the impact that novel had on me.  This has allowed me to branch out and explore even more genres and styles.

9.  What advice would you give students who are going to be in this class next year?
Of course, I'd always encourage future students to not procrastinate.  However, that's a lesson best learned by experience. Believe me, you'll learn.  Along with that advice, I'd like to say that third quarter will be your hardest, emotionally, mentally, and in motivation.  It may not seem like it will end, and that you can put off your assignments.  You should take care of yourself first, but keep your priorities straight.  Always revise (especially when it comes to essay writing!).  Make sure you participate.  With that, don't stop the introspection and insight when you leave the class for the day.  You'll learn so much about yourself in these next two years. So much.  Don't let an attitude or grudge hinder your growth.

1 comment:

  1. You're an English teacher?
    Kick-some-@$$!!!!!
    I #@!! loved English when I was a whipper-snapper!!!!!

    High, girl!
    While I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our 23 blogs a lottagobba (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this mortal sinner yeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear - neet, packaged, concise.

    Nevertheless, wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible, vigilant cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical-expiration-date,
    with an IQ much higher than K2,
    and an extraordinarily, sawcy, rowdy victory??
    Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jumpy into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down…

    ReplyDelete