Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Week of 11/27/13: Son

Prompt:   What emotions did you feel while you read? 
Pages: 1-185

   Son has quite a lot of heavy topics and themes throughout it's many pages; so as you can imagine, there are a lot of emotions to be felt here.  For me, the most prominent feeling I get from Son (as of right now) is frustration.  Which, from reading the back of the book, you wouldn't expect.  But if you were to actually read the second part of this book, I'm sure you would be feeling the same way. You would feel frustration along with me because Claire (the protagonist here) loses her memory (a deeply annoying and unoriginal plot twist, sorry Lois Lowry.).  This means she *SPOILER ALERT* forgets the whole purpose of her running away from the town/'utopia' she lived in (the same town where The Giver takes place) and basically sets the whole plot of the story back a whole section. Now that may have been a bit dramatic, but it's frustrating when someone who finally decides to be an individual in a society that looks down on the prospect, gets held back from doing that. Can you just imagine my frustration? 

  Another emotion I feel after and during reading Son is awe.  This is the same kind of awe you felt after reading some of the final chapters in The Giver.  The kind where you just cannot believe that a society could do that.  I am in halfway in awe of how a society could conform to that, and halfway in awe of how people would do that.  My awe is neither negative nor positive, just an observant state of awe. This paragraph looks quite a lot smaller than the other, so I'll fill it with unnecessary words, kind of what like happens in Son.  Although I don't mind this book, it is kind of entertaining. 

  Lastly, on a more positive note,  I felt like Claire was very brave to be running away from a society that she doesn't think is right, or right for her.  So I feel inspired.  Is that an emotion?  I think it is.  I am inspired because it seems like Claire is doing the impossible, which always makes a character more interesting, especially because she is a female (duh) and she isn't just crying over the fact that she lost her baby, she is actually doing something, which isn't too common when a female is a protagonist.  So I applaud Lois Lowry for that.  

4 comments:

  1. I have similar feelings to what you have, especially along with frustration because I mean it's very unique for events that are unexpected to happen. I just wish the unexpected was a little different. I hate how she had lost her memory! I got so furious, but then I just remembered it's just a book. The only thing I want for Claire is to have 'Abe' in her arms. Hopefully, there won't be anymore parts that are so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on how frustrating the plot line may feel. Do you think Lowry is verbose in her writing? Why might this be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. commented on:
    isabella p
    emily p
    julia s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle,
    Great blog this week! I really agree with the emotions you are feeling! I am absolutely annoyed at how the second "story" kind of just dragged on about how Claire was losing her memories, and how she was training to be able to climb the ledge! I just wanted her to remember, and I think that that's because I even remember why she was there, even after all of those chapters! I also agree that the story can make you feel inspired because the main character is going outside the normal, and being an individual, but I feel that, that is how most stories with Distopian/Utopian societies are! The main character is like a rebel, and goes against the crazy rules in their societies, though, I really do love that aspect of those kinds of stories. Overall, great blog this week, and I'm glad that someone else is feeling the same emotions as I am during the reading of this story!

    ReplyDelete