Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Week of 4/12/13: Son

Prompt: Write a journal entry as if you were a certain character from your reading
Pages read: 185-232

*In the POV of Claire, our protagonist) 

    It has been years since I made the trade with that evil manifestation of temptation, and although I do not regret the trade, I have been thinking about how things could've gone differently.  Trading my youth to see my son Gabe was the best and worst thing I have done with my life.  In the end, getting to see my son, who I have worked SO hard for, is the most incredible thing a birthmother can experience.  Though my Gabe doesn't even know my name.  I know he can see me, and feel my presence after my watching him for 7 years, but neither I nor him knows what to do about it. I guess I shall talk to Jonas, who I am so proud of.  It is quite a feat to become Leader of a village designated to refugees from Elsewhere.  But God I hate that term. "Elsewhere" is a euphemism designed to guard the children of where I was born.  Make sure they don't run off looking for a better life.  

   Today I stopped at the herbalists, getting your youth taken away from you really does make your body old.  All this joint pain and lack of appetite further reminds me of when I was younger.  I am still young!  Young at heart!  Young inside an old women's body, who was turned old over night by the Trademaster!  I would like to give that personification of evil a taste of his own medicine.  Medicine; yes, like what I got from the herbalist today. Medicine; yes, like what you need when you're old like me.  God it would be fun to see that Trademaster become old and weathered.  

   This town isn't a terrible place to spend your very few remaining years. Actually it is quite wonderful to have a community of people who have gone through the same things as you have.  They all have unique and thrilling stories to tell about how they came about 'Elsewhere'.  I'd loved to hear all of them, and share my story with the others.  All the others are very pleasant and accepting of my age.  They understand the part about Trademaster.   So I think I'll tell Jonas my story now.  Maybe then he could pass it on to Gabe someday.  My beautiful, pale-color eyed Gabe. 

2 comments:

  1. While I was reading this I felt as if I was actually reading it from the book. You made it seem as if you actually Claire and that's outstanding! I honestly think that Claire would do or say something similar to what you just said in those three paragraphs. You were also very descriptive and was full with details that could got me to imagine that it was actually happening in the book. Well, we'll just read till the end to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle,
    I really enjoyed your blog this week! Your entry definitely sounded like Claire could've written it! It sounds like you used all of her different tones; sweet, tough, and kind! All of the things that you said in your blog were true also! You talk about the change in time period, and all that has happened in the past few chapters! Overall great blog this week, and I'm excited to read the end of the book! P.S. I hope she does in some way make the Trademaster pay!

    ReplyDelete