Thursday, November 21, 2013

Week of 11/18/13: Boy Meets Boy

Prompt:  How did the reading make you feel? Why?
Pages read: 0-113

    Boy Meets Boy is an extremely fun, if not realistic book. Which puts me in a good mood, especially after reading the Chocolate War, which was a very dark book.  To sum it up, the main character is a boy who likes other boys and is in high school.  The story revolves around him and his friends, particularly him and his boyfriend (well it's early in their relationship, but there has already been complications).  One of the reasons this book is so fun and enjoyable is the interactions with the different characters, all of them being so different in personality to each other.  Some of my favorite parts are the conflicts between the Infinite Darlene (a drag queen) and  Chuck (who is a somewhat brute with questionable manners, and who used to like Darlene).

     This book made me feel like doing fun things with my friends because David Levithan, the author of this book, goes into vivid detail about Paul's (the main character) adventures with his friend, through the good times and the bad.  Boy Meets Boy also makes me appreciate my friends because it is set in high school, and as you know not everything is a fairy tale in high school.  "Fairy Tale" is actually a good way to describe this book, as it is very fun and kind of a breeze to read, but is also not entirely believable.  Which is a great thing after reading a lot of realistic fiction.

   Lastly, Boy Meets Boy makes me feel like not everything is as serious as it seems.  As an almost teenager, I am subject to be overdramatic about little things, which is not necessary all the time.  This book makes me think about the good things in life and has themes of friendship, life, and family which are all important topics but are portrayed lightly in this book.  Which is quite refreshing.  I have read books by David Levithan before and this, along with the others, is a fun, breezy, light-hearted book.  I have to say I like it a lot.

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds really unique! I know how it feels to read something dark and then reading something that will make you feel better. I really want to read this book now! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like you are really enjoying this book! I like the fact that it so connectable, to both life and other concepts. Is Boy Meets Boy from the same authors as the Chocolate War?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commented on Sarai, Bela, Marisa

    ReplyDelete