Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Week of 10/24/13

Prompt:  What has been the most interesting part of your reading?
Pages read: 0-97

   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a science fiction novel, so all the topics discussed in this book are pretty much things I've never heard of, and are all very interesting.  Some of the most interesting parts of the book are the planet Earth being blown up, learning about all the different gadgets they use in the future, and hearing about all the other planets and their governments.  Although those were all pretty awesome things in the story, the most interesting part so far has been when Ford and Arthur (the main characters, one them human) are miraculously saved by the Improbability Drive ship.

  If you don't know what an "Improbability Drive" ship is, don't worry, I barely know what it it either.  All I can tell you for sure, without bringing the math they use into this, is that it is a spaceship that can travel much faster than the speed of light (without going into hyperspace) and has all sorts of weird side affects of going that fast on board.  As I said earlier, Arthur and Ford have been saved by this ship after being flung out into space by a Vogon (another alien species) leader.  Both Arthur and Ford have no idea what they are travelling on, but they can both communicate with the other species thanks to a Babel Fish, which translates everything into English for Arthur (the human one).  Ford, who is from the planet Betelgeuse 5, can understand the other aliens.  He picked up Arthur on Earth because he is a researcher for the travel book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  

 After Arthur and Ford are saved, they both experience the feeling of going faster than the speed of light, which obviously has some pretty negative side effects, they warm up to the feeling and explore the odd but fascinating ship, which was stolen by Zaphod Beeblebrox, the president of the galaxy.  I really loved how the author went into great detail about the ship's design.  Sleek, elegant, and brand new.  The way he explains all the different characters is really interesting, and even the robots have a unique and believable personality.

So that's it, I hope you thought that was as interesting as I did.  I can't wait to read more.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you gave us what you liked and why you like it. It gives us an insight into the book and also gives us what we might feel when we are reading that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you described all of the parts.! Your book seems really interesting, mostly the part of the world blowing up. I'm not into Science Fiction but this book sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabelle,
    I really enjoyed your blog this week! I've been wondering what good science fiction novel I should read for the 40 book challenge and this one looks great! I love how whenever there was something that we wouldn't know, you would explain it in a simple way! I also really enjoyed how you explained kind of what has happened so far. It gave me a great idea about what the story is about so far! I really hope to read this book, great blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commented on:
    Emily's Blog
    Nadrian's Blog &
    Jenna's Blog

    ReplyDelete