Wednesday, October 16, 2013

10/16/13: "Paper Towns"

Prompt: How did the reading make you feel? Why?
Pages: 0-78
Paper Towns by John Green

   So far, Paper Towns, has made me feel like getting and up doing something exciting and memorable, no matter what the consequences may be.  Now, you may not think that is the best thing to do, or even if that would be fun, but if you knew what I was talking about, you may change your mind.  So I'll tell you why Paper Towns has made me feel like "carpe diem-ing", which isn't actually a real word, and doesn't make too much grammatical sense.  Oh well.

   This book starts out with an ordinary almost eighteen year old who is in his last few months of high school.  His name is Quentin, and he has applied to Duke for college, so he really doesn't need to have a criminal record trying to get in to his top choice for college.  Because Duke doesn't take applicants with criminal records, Quentin has been cautious, even more than usual, although he never really was one for mischief.  Unfortunately for him, the girl-next-door Margo, who he finds to be absolutely gorgeous, appears outside of his window in the dead of night.  Last time that happened, he was only nine years old.  So when Margo, decked out in all black, informs him of her wild but brilliant revenge plan, Quentin after giving it some thought, could not resist joining her.  I have always dreamed of sneaking out of my house and going on some sort of an adventure, but I have never actually thought about it literally(my room is on the second floor...). This book glorified the idea of doing that, so I am obviously feeling inspired and ready to take risks all because Paper Towns made it seem so fun.

  Another way Paper Towns has made me feel adventurous is when the author, John Green, describes in detail Margo's ingenious plan to seek vengeance on her cheating boyfriend.  It may sound dramatic, but the actual pranks she comes up with are hilarious.  For example, Quentin and Margo sneak into the latter's now ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend's house and inform  her parents (via telephone) what was going on in her room.  After doing this, Margo's ex-boyfriend dashes out of the house into the night, without too many clothes on.  Quentin snaps a picture, and after Margo spray paints a big "M" in the girl's room, they head off into the night.  No doubt infuriating the ex-boyfriend's girlfriend, but also her parents.  I would have to say that was a pretty epic prank to pull, and also a very funny one.  So that brings me back to the prompt question.  All I can say is that after reading the first 78 pages of Paper Towns, I am definitely inspired to cause some trouble of my own, just because this book makes it seem so fun.

 

 


1 comment:

  1. From what I just read now, I am speechless. Well, I don't think this book is such a good influence because it's making you think of doing some trouble. Maybe you won't really do it, but you still thought about it. This book sounds really interesting though. If I do eventually read this book, I probably myself would be having these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete