Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Stowaway: Week of 10/7/13 *SPOILER ALERT*

Prompt: Predict what will happen next.
Pages read:  68-140

     As of right now,  the Endeavor, the ship that the main character Nick Young is currently aboard is sailing through uncharted lands, and Captain Cook has no intentions of returning back to England, where they started out.  In a previous post, I explained that Nick Young started out as a stowaway on the Endeavor but has now moved up to helping the doctor and the cook with tasks.  Previously, the Endeavor landed in O'Tahiti and stayed there for about a month.  Now they are still sailing around trying to discover as much as they can to impress the King.  They survive by trading and helping out the Natives of whatever island they have stopped on.

    I predict that in the next few entries into Nick Young's log (the book is formatted in a diary like way) they will find a new island to settle on.  This time though, I doubt they will stick around for long.  It seems that the Natives get less friendly and a bit more scary the farther they travel.  For Nick's sake, I almost hope they will return back to England, but then again, I am only halfway through.  So for the sake of the story, I predict that something will break bad on the ship, whether it be a disease or an exhausted supply of food/resources and the Endeavor will have to take up residence on some foreign island. Although that may not be the most realistic ending, anything can happen when you're out at sea!

   Secretly, I hope only a few of the character's die, contrary to my prediction that a lot of them will die, which seems more likely to happen.  As I said, anything can happen out at sea. Another prediction of mine is that Mr. Bootie, Nick's antagonist will have something happen to him.  Now I can be creative and list all the different bad (or good, though that is not what I want as a reader) things that I can imagine happening to him, but that would just take up tons of space, so I'll leave this prediction quite vague.  Though maybe a good disease will take him by surprise...  John Charlton, Nick's first friend on board will hopefully have a bigger role in the future of this story, but I afraid a logical prediction would be that he will not.  As one more final prediction, I predict that Nick's animal friend, "Goat" will sadly die.  This has been quite a death-filled blog post... Anything can happen when you're out at sea!

4 comments:

  1. I really like your post this week! You really explained what is happening in the book really well. I would definitely read this book! Thanks for the recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that " anything can happen when you're out at sea!" is a very true statement, in a book. Fo all you know he ends up in a sharks stomach writing in candlelight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post because I have always liked sea books and I feel like you described your book very we'll so now I know if this will be a book I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle,
    Wow! This blog was amazing! I loved all of your predictions. Most people seem to want good things to happen to the characters, rather than bad. Though, I like how you kind of want something bad to happen, and then there will be more of a twist. I also liked how you had different predictions for what you think might happen based on events in the story, for what would be good to happen for the stories sake, and what you actually wanted to happen.Your descriptions of the story were great as well. Based on your predictions, and how you told us the story was formatted, (I like stories that are written as a journal/log) I would love to read your book!

    ReplyDelete