Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week of 15/9/14: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Prompt: Fanfiction!  (Future reference - don't trust me with open prompts)
Pages read: 0-120/262


This isn't going to be like the a lot of you weirdos read, there's no love triangle or long-term friendship blossoming into true love; just a short little spin-off of Captain Nemo's past life.  His hatred for humanity and compassion is truly and morbidly inspiring, and reminds me of Heathcliff, one of my all time favorite fictional characters.  I'm not far enough along in the book to know what events and people led to Nemo's isolation in the mystical depths of the unknown, with only castaways for company, but I would like to take my best, if a bit exaggerated guess.  To make this legit fanfic, I'll have to categorize it.  Let's call this an angst fic (fine, boyxboy undertones, freaks.)  Oh, and the time period is changed.  Mostly for my convenience, but hey, its "transformative".

*Told from (the future) Captain Nemo's POV in modern times*

**"All men have secrets and here is mine"**  Once again, I found my weary self in the university's library.  The volumes closed in upon, enveloping me in their musky smell.  It's what protected me, the isolation and the whimsical words upon the torn pages.  The more my stress increased, the more time I spent in this dusty old place; which is counterproductive I know, but I'm tired of living by the predetermined rules of mankind.  There is no room for thought, only action and oppression.  I'm not effeminate or anything like that, but no one takes the time to ponder the truly valuable in life, the beautiful and the complex.  It's a done deal then, I have given up my faith in humanity.

It was time to catch the subway train, and so I quickly checked out a new volume on nautical physics and rushed to the underground station.  Running late is a common occurrence, it usually pisses my "family" and acquaintances off, but I can never bring myself to care. I boarded the cramped train, and found myself in a reverie with my head resting uncomfortably on the window pane.  It's strange for me to be reverting back to my old childish fantasies, but I couldn't help but to think of a life under the sea; so far away from everyone here.  I dreamt of literally being 'under' the influence of all of the world, no one to bother me to such the extent the portly man beside me was at this moment.  I snapped out right when my phone started to ring, much to the annoyance of the other passengers. I didn't care, so I answered the call from my boss.  It looked like another day at the wharf was in store for me.  Although it was a lot of mindless physical exertion, getting to see the structure of the ships was fascinating to me. Well I'm off, if I'm still above ground by next week I'll write some more.


Author's note:  I fully intend to write another blog on this book next week, should I continue this storyline?  Or skip the fanfic idea altogether?  Comment your thoughts :)








3 comments:

  1. I read 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea when I was in about 5th grade because they had the easier version for kids at the school library. I can't say I remember that much about it, but I understand what you're talking about. I thought you're first paragraph was hilarious! It may sound dorky, but I nearly laughed out loud when I read "Mostly for my convenience, but hey, its "transformative"." Not that it wasn't funny, but it's hard for something written to make me laugh out loud. That's mainly reserved for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Anyways, I think you definitely continue the story line, it's really interesting reading Captain Nemo's perspective from a modern time a.u.. Also, I think the fact that Nemo's losing faith in humanity is more relatable in this day and age than ever before. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commented on:
    Leanna M
    Marisa B
    Maria C
    Elenia M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should continue this storyline!

    ReplyDelete