Monday, September 8, 2014

The Ten Novels That Have Changed my Perspective

*In no traditional order*

1 - Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
Anne of Green Gables, as well as the rest of the "Anne series" captivated me not only with its strong female protagonist, but with its beautiful setting.  Anne Shirley and I shared many of the same ambitions, and we both have a knack for embarrassing ourselves. Her imaginative mind and bold, forthright manner inspired me.  The novel confirmed my belief that being smart holds so much more value than being pretty.  
2 - A Wrinkle in Time/Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle 
Never had a book (or rather, books) filled me with wonder in the way this series did.  Despite my young age when I read A Wrinkle In Time, I completely absorbed myself in the universe.  A far-out and scary universe it was.  Although these novels were science-fiction, many elements were based upon biblical events which were not from the writer's own beliefs.  This would keep me up at night, pondering the existence of aliens and civilizations before the Great Flood.  A question I am often asked, and never have an answer to is "If you could live in any book's universe, what book would you choose?"  and now I have my response.  

3 - The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
Perhaps I was too young when I read this deeply twisted novel to fully understand its theme and motifs. I had yet been fully converted to the darker side of human nature, although this book furthered my descent.  Even though I was often confused, I understood and was enthralled with each complex character.  The 19th century language was foreign to me at that time, but the words soon began to paint a dark, distorted picture.  One of the most important aspects of a novel, to me, is its setting.  As you will read in my description of Wuthering Heights, the gloomy English moors thrill me.  Though The Hound of the Baskervilles is not my favorite book of all time, it is certainly one I will read again, and again.

4 - The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
My absolute favorite work of prose, so far.  I'll keep this brief, as I've written about this novel quite a bit (you can refer back to my earlier blog posts to fully understand), though I feel as if I am committing an act of injustice.  Dorian Gray's internal struggle between himself and society's morals is the basis of my insomnia.  Morals and psychology are in my top three subjects to learn about, only second to space.  The way human nature is portrayed in this book engaged me like no other, and the Late Victorian Era setting furthers Wilde's own beliefs on morals and behavior.  Whether you find Dorian daring and complex, or just a whiney dandy, this is a book I think everyone should analyze or at least read in depth.

5 - In The Time I Get by Chris Crutcher
The shortest stories leave the deepest wounds.  There are only two stories I have cried during, both with the same circumstance/outcome and both very short.  Had this book dragged on any longer, I wouldn't have been able to reread it.  See, this is probably my most reread book, and each time I feel a different emotion.  Such is the power of Chris Crutcher, who often writes about everyday occurrences or rather, afflictions, that nobody has to courage to bring to focus. In The Time I Get does not have an inspirational tone, and if it did it would not be on this list, but it does leave a deep message.  One I dare not spoil.


6 - Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre
A popular topic for my rambling summer blogs, Nausea, like Dorian Gray, was almost a coming-of-age for me.  I truly hate that expression, but I fear it is the only way to get my message across.  Nausea challenged my previous beliefs on existence and purpose, and set me in a trance.  I consider myself, as of this minute (my opinions change frequently) either a nihilist or existentialist, so I did not have the "existential crisis" many readers of the novel were brought to, although I did have a productivity crisis.  Like Antoine, I would look at ordinary objects and suddenly feel disconnected from my usual sense of comfort.  To avoid boring you to death, I will discontinue this so-called "blurb".

7 - Goodnight Moon by Magaret Wise Brown and Pat Hancock
On a lighter side, although this book was set in the dead of night, this was one of my favorite "books" when I was a child.  It wasn't the first story I ever read, or the one that had the most profound impact on me, it was the amount of times I read this.  I loved the illustrations, and often times before I learned to read I would make up a story to go along with the pictures.  When I was four, and finally learned to read, it was a revelation in a sort.  That sounds melodramatic for something as unsophisticated as a childrens book; but after learning what was actually written on those pages instead of the stories I made up I grew bored and moved on to more challenging books.  Thus began my perpetual reading adventure.

8 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (collective series) by Douglas Adams
One of the most inspiring volumes I've ever read, and that's not a false statement to grab your attention (not that you're paying any).  I liked to think I was a Zaphod Beeblebrox, when really I am as hopelessly clueless as Arthur Dent.  It felt like I had read these novels in hyperspace, that's how fast I flew through them.  They weren't just silly science fiction stories, they actually held some meaning and had themes more profound than a lot of today's "ground-breaking" YA novels.  I'd like to say more, but this is a topic I've blogged upon quite a bit long ago, so feel free to refer back to my previous posts.  I know you won't.

9 - Paper Towns by John Green
I feel a bit, well, basic, to include a John Green novel in this list.  No offense to John, however.  Moving on, this novel gives the reader an incomprehensible feeling of ennui.  Although it does not manifest itself at first as ennui, you get a strong feeling of wanderlust.  You feel hopeless and confined in this large world,  and strangely alone.  What I look for most in a book is well-developed characters, and while this book is not the strongest in that sense, you do feel for the characters.  You are jealous of Margo, and feel pity for Quentin.  This novel gives me a "summer" sort of vibe except it applies to the teenage years.  In summer, there's too much expectation to "enjoy yourself", and during your teenage years, you're supposed to sneak out and run away (per stereotype).  In a way, that's inspiring, but mostly upsetting because, well, does anyone really do that? Or at least, to the extent that Margo does.  That being said, this book took me on an adventure I could picture myself in, if only while reading it.

10 - Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
This will undoubtedly be the most popular entry on these Top Ten blogs of ours.  Deservedly so, even if it is "over-hyped".  I read this series in the first half of second grade, and became so enthralled it took away from my school work.  We all know how rigorous second grade was...  Although there wasn't a profound perspective impact on me, this book held a certain power over me.  It felt wrong to exclude this series from my list, owing to years of obsession with it.  I've never pictured myself in a book's universe so much as I did with Harry Potter (what a cultural icon, I still revel in its glory).  PS - I consider myself a Ravenclaw, with cunning Slytherin traits!

Ah yes, the boring picture time









1 comment:

  1. When did you first read In The Time I Get by Chris Crutcher? You mentioned above that each time you read it you feel a different emotion. Is there one emotion that revisits you more often than others?

    ReplyDelete