Thursday, April 3, 2014

Week of 31/3/14: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Prompt:  Explain how you have been surprised by what you are reading.
Pages read: 0-235 **finish**

This is not normally a book I would read; at least, not by choice.  So naturally, I was surprised when I saw myself getting emotionally invested in this book.  I'm not ashamed to say the title scared me off, and they were some eye-rolling moments.  Ultimately, this book was an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone coming out of a challenging book, or if you just enjoy stories about young love...

I should've known, I just should've known! that there would be family drama.  It's obviously going to make the story more believable, and add that relatable bit that makes a good YA novel a best-seller.  I just didn't expect it to be as deeply rooted in The Statistical Prob-... (overly long title).  Hadley going to her father's wedding and meeting her new stepmother was the only part I expected, because it was to be.  I imagined she would eventually make up with her father and like Charlotte (the step-mother) which happens a lot in books like this one.  But *spoiler alert if anyone's reading this far* Hadley's sudden realization about Oliver's father dying hit that small section in my brain I allow emotions to get into in a horrible way.  And that surprised me.

If you're reading this paragraph, don't.  Well not unless you want spoilers, and I would appreciate your dedication.  Arguably (with myself...) Oliver coming back to see Hadley after they met just 24 hours on plane was sweetly surprising.  She had gone to the funeral after skipping out on the wedding for a few hours, but that was disastrous. The almost ending scene where her and Oliver dance at the wedding was just perfect for this type of book.  I would like to explain this in a more in-depth way, as well as go over the plot in next week's blog.  Unfortunately due to time constraints, I must end this blog short. Until next time.

Oh and some exciting news, just because this is a literature blog - This Saturday I am going to a teen book fest, LitWorks.  The author who wrote this book and several others will be there for Q and A, so I am very excited.  Jack Gantos, a hero of mine, will be there, so I cannot wait.





1 comment: