Thursday, April 17, 2014

Week of 14/4/14: Rebel Fire

Prompt: Why do you think the author wrote this? and Describe the main characters.
Pages read: Start-140

The plain and simple answer to this prompt is that the author, Andrew Lane, is a big geek over the Sherlock Holmes books.  Really, the Holmes saga, with all the different adaptations of the original books by Arthur Conan Doyle.  It's something we have in common, my infatuation started in fifth grade after reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles".  This adaptation (which I am thoroughly enjoying, I highly recommend it) is focused on Sherlock's life as a teen, where he is being guided through his brother's connections and crazy adventures.  Long story short, I highly respect this geeky author...

I'm sure we all know the basic idea of Sherlock Holmes' persona, so I will not dwell too much on him. Though this reworking of the classic paints him in a more innocent light, as he still has not made a name for himself in the detective scene. He is in the learning stage, which is very intense. He has an American tutor, which is rare because this is the late 1800's in Britain.  Crowe, his tutor, likes to make Sherlock think perceptively and differently, and he makes his very first deductions about the world around him.

Mycroft Holmes - what a character.. He is older than Sherlock and working for the British government, which has given him immense power, more than Sherlock knows.  He has put on weight while working, which gives Sherlock plenty to tease him about.  The don't have the same love/hate as they have in other retellings and the original, but there is the brotherly love element in there.  He is more intellectually advanced than Sherlock, and likes to boast about it.  Which is definitely justifiable, he is absolutely brilliant.

In the end, I am very excited about this book and I have loved the characters even before I started reading, so I hope this book will not let me down.



4 comments:

  1. The main character reminds me of you, and the sherlocks series that everyone is so obsessed with. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog this week Isabelle. I really loved it when you said the author was a big geek. You really had a descriptive blog this week. I like how you describe the books by Andre to the books of Sherlock Holms, Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commented on
    Isabela J
    Marisa B
    Gianna F

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your attention to detail with the date!;)

    ReplyDelete