Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Moon Chasers Week of 3/11/14

Prompt:  Predictions on the future of the characters/the story
Pages read: 0-140

File this book's recurring motifs under "subjects I never knew I was interested in until I went out of my comfort zone".  After reading Notes from the Edge Times,  I had a vague premonition that I'd be interested in ancient civilizations and their lore and mysticism, but this novel solidified my increasing want to know what will probably always be unknown.  However, I do wish the author had the style to pull of these esoteric and abstract ideas.  This leads me to falling in and out of interest, in fact, I started this book in the summer and have only begun to read it again last night...  And it wasn't just my procrastination and lack of focus that lead me to selecting this book to blog about, it was the suspense that the author created.  I realized that The Moon Chasers was perfect for making predictions.  Thus, saving me the (not even an exaggeration) 10 minutes of choosing a prompt.

After our discussion in class about 'universal themes', I discovered a parallel between our discussion and the novel.  A basic fact that is known through reading the novel is that of the existence of an ancient Mayan allegory.  Our protagonist, a scholar studying such topics, reads through these illustrated stories and discovers their meaning.  As you might have predicted, the stories are primarily focused on the moral Good vs. Evil battle and the redemption for both.  This is ever increasingly showing itself in the lives of the characters, as (spoiler alert) they are thrown back into time and are at odds with each other.  From the described Mayan texts, I can predict (or rather, infer) that the ultimate good will fall upon the characters.  This can manifest itself in many forms; however, I'm hoping for the appearance of a god or-or-or even better multiple universes.

With that far-fetched statement, which was based upon the topics in the story, I can predict something beyond my wildest predictions is going to happen.  I mean, the author could just end the story right where I'm reading and there, it would be over.  No further imagination needed as far as The Moon Chasers is concerned!  But no, I'm not even halfway through and I find out they've been transported back into time to summon dark magic and this is a series.  I predict that our protagonists (I hate calling main characters that when I have an intense dislike for them) will find themselves stuck in a situation and they must work together to solve it.  However cliché that might seem, it is a universal theme and I'm hoping for more in this story.  Maybe a dramatic misunderstanding with the Mayans; it's perfectly feasible in this plot!

*Just found out the specific genre of The Moon Chasers is "Speculative Fiction".  That's actually really cool.

**And this is my 50th post!


3 comments:

  1. I like how you included what we discussed in class and discussed it here. Also, I thought motif wasn't a real word at first. Learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commented on:
    Abdiel
    Maria
    Carlos
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice connection on our discussions in class and bringing them into your blog posts. I sympathize with you when you mentioned calling the main character the protagonist, especially when you hate them! Kudos to your 50th blog:)

    ReplyDelete